|Contact Us | Site Map | Home|
HISTORY OF MITCHELL BANK
In 1907 a group of local businessmen founded Mitchell Street State Bank to serve the needs of the near south-side of Milwaukee. During the early part of the 20th Century, the area was populated by Polish and German immigrants. Mitchell Street State Bank helped many of these people buy their first home or start a business. To this day a significant number of our customers have relationships going back 50, 70, or even 80 years!
Toward the latter part of the 20th Century, the community began to evolve. Many of the Polish and German residents had migrated to suburbs south and west of Milwaukee. In their place, a large Hispanic population developed. This led to three major changes for Mitchell Street State Bank.
First, Mitchell began to open branches to serve its customers as they moved to new neighborhoods. We have opened branch banking locations inside five area retirement communities to help provide banking services to senior citizens. In November of 2003, we opened a full-service branch on 124th & National in New Berlin.
A second change was in image. The Bank changed its name to Mitchell Bank to reflect its entry into new markets while keep its roots on Mitchell Street.
The third and final change is reflected in the commitment Mitchell Bank made to understanding the needs of, and serving, the growing Hispanic community.
As we begin to close the chapter on our first 100 years in the community, Mitchell Bank celebrating its accomplishments and positioning itself for the challenges that lay ahead. Mitchell Bank remains independently owned and intends to stay that way.
As we look forward, we are committed to employing the same philosophy that we have been refining for the last 100 years.